The goal of parenting is to facilitate the development of healthy, happy and successful children and adolescents. At times, however, parenting can be frustrating, overwhelming and confusing—particularly when parenting a child that is experiencing anxiety, depression, mood swings, poor social skills or problematic anger. Not only are these children and adolescents suffering themselves, but so are those around them.
Parent consultation sessions are all about helping parents develop a parenting approach that is tailored to the specific psychological and behavioral needs of their child.
Common Concerns Addressed In Parent Consultations:
- "How can I get my child to follow directions more consistently?"
- "How can I help my child/teen cope with their anxiety?"
- "How can I help my child/teen cope with their depression?"
- "My child won't sit down and complete their homework. What can I do?"
- "My teenager doesn't seem to enjoy my company. What can I do?"
- "I am recently divorced and my child is not coping well. What can I do?"
- "All my child/teen does is play video games all day! What can I do?"
Relationship enhancement focused parent consultations are most helpful for parent-child dyads that are experiencing conflict, emotional disconnect, interpersonal avoidance, or difficulty overcoming past family trauma or stress. In parent consultations that are focused on developing relationship enhancement skills parents may learn to:
- Listen for your child's underlying needs
- Develop specialized communication skills
- Apply effective positive feedback to enhance your child's self esteem
- Schedule effective one-on-one connection time with you and your child.
- Strategies for increasing a strong parent-child bond
- How to effectively resolve parent-child conflict
- How to increase your child's sense of safety at home
If you are looking for guidance in developing your parenting approach to meet the specific needs of your child, contact Dr. Montgomery today. He provides help for parents in Newport Beach, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Beach, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Laguna Hills, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Orange, Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Anaheim, Tustin, Dana Point, Seal Beach and beyond.
Behavior management focused parent consultations are all about developing effective, consistent, predictable and developmentally appropriate parenting responses that will increase your child or adolescent's ability to make better decisions and function successfully at home and beyond. In parent consultations that are focused on developing behavior management skills, parents may learn to:
- Give effective commands
- Deliver effective and developmentally appropriate consequences
- Apply effective timeout procedures (for young children)
- Develop an effective behavioral contingency plans
- Select and apply incentives/rewards that are effective
- Learn behavioral principles for reinforcing desirable child/teen behavior
- Learn behavioral principles for decreasing undesirable child/teen behavior
Interested? Let’s connect!
If you or your child are interested in therapy services, contact me as soon as possible. I would love to hear from you and answer any questions you may have about my practice.
It is never too late for your child to receive treatment. I believe I can help make a difference in your child’s life.
Together, we can help them reach their potential.
Read about Dr. Montgomery
Dr. Montgomery holds dual certifications in Clinical Psychology (California Board of Psychology PSY28475) and Family Therapy (California Board of Behavioral Sciences MFT49608). He has dedicated his professional and academic activities to understanding and addressing psychological, behavioral and interpersonal health in children, adolescents, and families.
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- M.A. Clinical Psychology
- M.S. Counseling Psychology
- B.A. Psychology
Want to learn more about me?
Click on the About tab to find out more about my credentials and get a better sense for who I am.
Want to learn more?
Want to learn more about therapy, assessment, and mental illness?
Check out the tabs above, or click on the links below:
- Therapy with Children
- Therapy with Teens
- Therapy with Adults
- Testing for Academic and Professional Exam Accommodation Eligibility (California Bar Exam, LSAT, GRE, MCAT and more)
- Testing for School Performance (Psychoeducational Evaluations, Learning Disabilities, IQ, ADHD, and more)
- Testing for Diagnosis (Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar, ADHD and more)